Saturday, January 25, 2014

Burlap Door Hanger Tutorial

Its been a long time since I posted.  I didn't do much crafting in 2013 but I was busy baking up this adorable guy.
This little guy came 20 years after our youngest and we couldn't be more excited.  So between feedings, changing and cuddles I have been crafting again.  Here is my latest obsession, burlap door hangers. 
After looking on pinterest at several tutorials and some trials and errors I came up with my own method of creating these fun door decorations.  First I use my Silhouette Cameo to make a pattern.
Trace pattern onto burlap two times for front and back.
Before cutting out front piece, I like to add any details.
Then I roughly cut around each picture, leaving about an inch of burlap and pin the designs together with a layer of batting between. 
 
 
Time to sew.  I sew about a 1/4 inch from drawn design.  I like to use colored thread so that when I cut it out I don't accidently cut on stitch line.
Leave an opening for stuffing. 
 
Stuff and sew up the rest and then cut around design.
 
After this I water down some Mod Podge and paint it on the front and paint around the edges front and back.  Once this dries it creates a harder surface to paint on and also helps the edges not unravel anymore.
Now it is time to paint and add your hanger.  This one is heading to a sweet family that is having their first baby while going through flight school at Ft. Rucker, Alabama.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're crafting again!! These are adorable! And my grandson, he's the bestest!!

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...thanks for taking the time to comment!